Tampa Bay Theatre Festival
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
FULL LENGTH PLAYS & MUSICALS:
All Material must be original. Your show can be published or non-published work.
** Your full length show should not exceed 2 hours and 15 minutes including your intermission if you choose to have one. If you do not have an intermission, your show should not exceed 2 hours. You will have a total of 1 hour to mount your set and to do a tech run. We highly advise that you have a MINIMAL SET. Remember, this is a showcase of full length plays so you may not have time to put up an entire set. Please use the mindset of a black box setting with no panels or a full blown set. Tables, couches, chairs, and small pieces are fine. You must remember to stay within the allotted time frame that you have to set up.
- If your play/musical is selected, there is a fee for the usage of the theater where your play will be presented. The fee for the black box/studio theater that seats up to 60 people is $100.00. The fee for a main stage theater which sits between 250 to 260 people is $300.00.
- All monies made on your show is 100% yours, the TBTF does not retain any percentage of your earnings.
- You must provide your own payment processing service. Eventbrite is the ONLY service that the TBTF allows, you will receive detailed instructions if your play is selected.
- The festival DOES NOT produce your show. All entries must be self produced. The TBTF does not provide casting of any sort for your production.
- You are allowed to have union actors in your play (EQUITY) but it is up to you follow and abide by union rules when it comes to casting a union actor.
- There will be an opening night show at the Straz presented by the Tampa Bay Theatre Festival. This show is simply for entertainment and WILL NOT compete with other full-length plays.
- Your sound and lighting will be managed by the staff at the venue where your play is to be performed. You are not allowed to handle their equipment. You can staff one of your team members to sit with the technicians to give them instructions on your cues and lighting.
- If your show is in a black box/studio theater, you will have a total of 3 hours and 15 minutes allotted for your entire show. This includes one hour to set up which includes minor lighting and tech/sound run. You will have 1 hour and 45 minutes for your show including 15 minutes for intermission if you don't have an intermission, your show can run for 2 hours. You will have 30 minutes to strike your set once your show is done.
- You must provide your own team of stage hands, stage manager, and crew.
- This is a festival and a showcasing of your play. To meet the guidelines provided, we highly advise that you keep your set and lighting to a minimum.
- All winnrs will be announced at the Awards Party.
Musicals should also include:
- 2 to 3 MP3 demo tracks (linked in the cover letter section of the form)
- Youtube clips (if available - no promo clips)
- Lead sheet (if available)
- WHEN YOU PERFORM YOUR MUSICAL YOU MUST USE A LAPTOP, CD, OR AN MP3 WITH YOUR TRACKS ON THEM. NO LIVE INSTRUMENTS ARE ALLOWED, NO EXCEPTIONS.
If your play/musical is selected, you will receive a detailed welcome letter that will cover any additional questions that you may have. An email and telephone number to reach the TBTF will be provided.
- All Material must be original. Your show can be published or non-published work.
- The length of short plays cannot exceed 10 minutes and a maximum of 8 cast members.
- If your play exceeds the 10 minute time frame, it will effect your final score.
- Short plays are to have a minimum set such as: table, chairs, desk, stoops, stools etc. Once your play is over, you must immediately remove your props as the next show will be waiting to set up. You will have 3 minutes to remove your props and minimal set.
- The TBTF does not cast or direct your play. Please do not submit your work if you think getting a cast or director will be a challenge for you.
- Any works previously submitted and performed will not be accepted.
- You must be at the theatre on time. If the run through starts and your entire cast is not there your show will be disqualified.
- The Short-Play competition winner will be announced at the Awards Party.
- There will be two sessions during the short-play competition. The cast must remain backstage during their session. Cast members do not pay to compete. Tickets must be purchased to attend the additional short-play session that you are not competing in.
MONOLOGUES AND SCENES
- Monologues are not to exceed 2 minutes max. If you exceed your time frame this will count against you and the judges may stop your monologue.
- This does NOT have to be an original piece. Your monologue can be from a play, a movie, or something that you wrote.
- To enter this competition, please submit a recording by phone of you performing your monologue and email it to email@example.com. If you are selected, you do not have to perform the same monologue that you submitted at the competition, you can perform a different one if you wish.
- Winners will be announced at the awards party
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR PLAY:
- Plays can be submitted by way of the website submission page
- If you have a recording of your play, you can mail the DVD as an option. Mail it to RL Stage PO Box 4145 Tampa FL 33677. This only for full length shows
- Scenes & Monologues - n/a
- Short Plays - n/a
- Full Length - n/a
- Musical - n/a
WINNERS OF THE SHORT PLAYS, MONOLOGUES, AND SCENE COMPETITION WILL BE ANNOUNCED AT THE AWARDS PARTY.
RELEASE OF LIABILITY
I (We) certify that I have the full right and authorization to submit and enter into a contractual agreement to produce this submission during the Tampa Bay Theatre Festival. I agree to indemnify RL Stage Inc and RQL Productions, its representatives, volunteers, board, sponsors, judges, and affiliates against all claims, losses, damages, and liabilities, from and against any claim or cause of action arising from any claim of infringement or intellectual property rights.
ALL PLAYS/MUSICALS MUST BE SELF PRODUCED AND READY TO MOUNT. THE TBTF DOES NOT PROVIDE ACTORS, DIRECTORS, STAGE HANDS, OR STAGE MANAGERS FOR YOUR SHOW.
I understand that In the event a claim or dispute arises out of this application and/or submission, which parties cannot, with good faith effort resolve in face to face discussions, both parties agree to bring the matter before a member of the American Arbitration Association. The arbitration decision will be binding on both parties. The arbitrator may require the losing party to pay the costs of reasonable attorney fees of the prevailing party. Judgment upon such arbitration award may be entered in court of the competent jurisdiction. The laws of the State of Florida govern this Agreement